黑料不打烊

WNBA commissioner and union leaders discuss steps to protect players from online harassment

FILE - WNBA commissioner Cathy Engelbert speaks prior to Game 1 of a WNBA basketball final playoff series between the Las Vegas Aces and the Phoenix Mercury, Oct. 3, 2025, in Las Vegas. (AP Photo/John Locher, File)

WNBA Commissioner Cathy Engelbert discussed what more can be done to protect players from online harassment during a virtual meeting with the players’ union executive committee and the union’s Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Committee.

The call Tuesday night came at the union’s request.

Players have been sharing threats and harassment they鈥檝e received on social media over the last few weeks. posted a message from a man that included a racial slur. The man was tracked down and fired from his job at Hilton Grand Vacations.

鈥淭he conversation underscored the importance of addressing issues early through proactive communication and strengthening the league-union relationship,鈥 the league and union said in a joint statement Wednesday. 鈥淭he league committed to continuing to enhance security resources and will work with the players鈥 union to explore collaborations with organizations that share the values of our league and advance our shared priorities.鈥

Dealing with abuse toward players has been a priority of the league the last few years, including the 鈥淣o Space for Hate鈥 platform that was introduced last season. Part of that program included the use of AI technology that players can use to filter out hateful comments.

When harassment escalates, the league’s security office launches an investigation.

Additional steps that were discussed in the meeting included pursuing accountability from tech companies and having more streamlined conversations between the WNBA and law enforcement.

鈥淭he biggest thing was communication,鈥 WNBPA secretary Elizabeth Williams told reporters at shootaround Wednesday before her Chicago team played New York. 鈥淐ommunication from Cathy and the league side being a little more consistent, so we feel more comfortable.鈥

Alyssa Thomas and social media vitriol after she hit Caitlin Clark in the throat a few weeks ago. No foul was called on the play, but the league upgraded it to a Flagrant-2 foul and suspended her for a game. Thomas said at the time she hadn’t heard from the league about the threats she had received.

Natasha Cloud, who previously said Engelbert hasn’t done enough to help the players, backed off a bit on Tuesday.

鈥淭here鈥檚 only so much that the league can do because people are going to be miserable and they鈥檙e going to be continue to be hateful human beings,鈥 the Sky guard said Tuesday after practice. 鈥淲e can find these IP addresses. We can make sure that bans are banned for life from certain arenas, certain teams, certain leagues.鈥

___

AP WNBA:

Copyright © 2026 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, written or redistributed.

Federal News Network Logo
Log in to your 黑料不打烊 account for notifications and alerts customized for you.